Friday, November 03, 2006

Ephesians 5:14

"That is why it is said:
Wake up, sleeper,
rise from the dead
and Christ will shine on you."

This verse really hit me hard this morning. It was one of those moments where you feel it's talking straight to you. One reason could be related to the fact that I am not exactly shy about my love of and skill at the act of sleeping. I joke that it's my hobby, but it's really not a joke.

With the recent move across the country and the general upheaval of my life it's not surprising to me that I have been quite depressed. As a side effect, I am always tired no matter how much sleep I get.

So when this verse said 'Wake up, sleeper', I thought 'How?' and 'What do I need to wake up from?' Tonight, I don't have the answers, and mostly I just feel worse, on the verge of tears. The tears feel necessary but not appropriate, so they will stay in my head. But I still want to wake up and have Christ shine on me. But how, Lord?

No comments: